Stakeholder Summit 2020
2020 Black Maternal Health Caucus Stakeholder Summit: Passing the Momnibus and Promoting Black Maternal Health in 2020 & Beyond
CLICK HERE for the full 2020 BMHC Stakeholder Summit Packet.
CLICK HERE for a full video of the Summit.
Representatives Lauren Underwood (IL-14) and Alma Adams (NC-12), founders and co-chairs of the Black Maternal Health Caucus, convened more than 100 organizations working to address the Black maternal health crisis for a virtual stakeholder summit. The summit served as an opportunity for members of the Black Maternal Health Caucus and a diverse group of stakeholders to discuss the importance of the Black Maternal Health Momnibus Act, introduced in March and led by Underwood, Adams, and Senator Kamala Harris (D-CA), which builds on existing maternal health legislation with nine new bills to comprehensively address every dimension of the Black maternal health crisis. Additionally, Caucus stakeholders described their advocacy efforts and their recommendations for the Caucus.
“Over the past year, we have made unprecedented progress to advance life-saving policies to save moms’ lives and tackle glaring racial disparities in maternal mortality. And, we have seen momentum on the Momnibus even more recently as the House Veterans’ Affairs Committee included my bipartisan bill, the Protecting Moms Who Served Act, in a legislative hearing – the first step to becoming law,” said Underwood. “But we cannot rest until we’ve gotten legislation signed into law to ensure that moms can access the care and support they need before and during their pregnancies, throughout labor and delivery, and for the full yearlong postpartum period and beyond.”
“For me – like countless others who are dedicated to this effort – this issue is deeply personal. My focus on Black maternal health began when my daughter survived a complicated pregnancy that almost claimed her life and the lives of my grandchildren. I knew when I got to Congress, I had to make this a priority. Black mothers are needlessly dying during what should be one of the most joyous times of their lives. So it’s absolutely critical that we provide mothers and birthing persons the support they need – before, during and after pregnancy,” said Adams.
The following Members of Congress participated in the stakeholder summit: Representatives Alma Adams (NC-12), Lauren Underwood (IL-14), Sharice Davids (KS-03), Bobby Scott (VA-03), Gwen Moore (WI-04), Barbara Lee (CA-09), Elaine Luria (VA-02), Katherine Clark (MA-05), Kim Schrier (WA-08), Cheri Bustos (IL-17), Judy Chu (CA-27), Mary Gay Scanlon (PA-05), Jan Schakowsky (IL-09), and David Trone (MD-06).
The following organizations provided live remarks in the stakeholder summit: The Century Foundation (Dr. Jamila Taylor), National Birth Equity Collaborative (Dr. Dawn Godbolt), March of Dimes (Stacey Stewart), Black Mamas Matter Alliance (Angela Aina), Center for American Progress (Jamille Fields Allsbrook), 4Kira4Moms (Charles Johnson), Mamatoto Village (Aza Nedhari), and Center for Reproductive Rights (Jennifer Jacoby).
Videos from Black Maternal Health Caucus Members:
- Representative Barbara Lee
- Representative Eddie Bernice Johnson
- Representative Judy Chu
- Representative Katherine Clark
- Representative Jan Schakowsky
- Representative Cheri Bustos
- Representative Mary Gay Scanlon
- Representative Kim Schrier
- Representative Elaine Luria
Videos from Black Maternal Health Caucus Stakeholders:
- American Association of Birth Centers
- American Hospital Association
- American Organization for Nursing Leadership
- Black Mamas ATX
- Black Women's Health Imperative
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Association
- Center for American Progress
- Center for Reproductive Rights
- Centering Healthcare Institute
- Children's HealthWatch
- Commonsense Childbirth
- Community Catalyst
- Johnson & Johnson
- Lamaze International
- March for Moms
- March of Dimes
- Mom Congress, 2020 Mom, & Jace's Journey
- Mom Congress, 2020 Mom, & Melinated Moms
- National Partnership for Women & Families
- National WIC Association
- Northwestern Center for Health Equity Transformation
- Nurse Practitioners in Women's Health
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America
- Sista Midwife Productions
- The Century Foundation
- The National Association to Advance Black Birth
- The Preeclampsia Foundation
- The Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine